Explosions at Jammu Airport’s technical area; case registered under UAPA


Police apprehend two suspects from near the area

Militants plan to carry out bomb explosion in Jammu foiled as police apprehend a militant with 5 kg IED

Jammu: In what may be called an act of terror, police have registered an FIR under provisions of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act in connection with two powerful explosions into an Indian Air Force Station in Jammu during wee hour of Sunday.

Two persons were injured in the explosion which damaged roof of a building inside the Air Force Station.

The case has been registered under sections 16 and 18 of UAPA which relate to conspiracy and commission of terrorist act, sources said.

Meanwhile, NIA officials have reached the IAF station, while Western Air Commander Air Marshal VR Chaudhary is also visiting the Jammu airbase to review the ground situation. He would be briefed by the Indian Air Force officials on the incident.

An alert has been sounded across Jammu division after a person was injured following two powerful explosions inside Jammu Airport’s technical area during wee hours of Sunday.

Meanwhile, police have held two from near the area. Sources said the injured was hit by a splinter.

A senior police officer confirmed the explosion, saying details are awaited.

NSG and NIA teams are on their way to Jammu Airport, sources said.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Vice Air Chief, Air Marshal HS Arora regarding today’s incident at Air Force Station in Jammu. Air Marshal Vikram Singh is reaching Jammu to take stock of the situation: Defence Minister’s Office

Sources said that the explosions were so powerful that they was heard upto a distance of 1 km, causing panic in nearby area. The first explosion took place at 1.37 am and the other at 1.42 am.

Soon after the explosion, police sent bomb disposal squad and forensic experts to the technical area. Senior police, security forces officials have reached the spot.

Meanwhile, a defence PRO Lt Colonel Devender Anand said that there has been no injury to any personnel or any damage to any equipment in the explosion.

Investigation is on and further details are awaited.

Earlier on Saturday evening, Police had arrested a suspected militant from near a shopping mall in the jurisdiction of Trikuta Nagar Police station along with a powerful IED.

Additional Director General of Police Mukesh Singh confirmed the apprehension of a militant, saying that nearly 5 kg IED has been recovered from him. Police have registered a case.

Meanwhile, sources said that an OGW was also apprehended along with the militant. Duo were moving near the shopping mall under suspicious circumstances.